【新朋友】点击标题下面蓝字【可可英语】加关注
【老朋友】点击手机右上角图标【转发分享】内容
【听音频,也可猛戳左下角“阅读原文”】
In surfing there's a technical term for stealing somebody else's wave.
在冲浪中,有一个形容占用别人的浪的技术术语。
It's called shoulder-surfing. It's very rude and surfers really don't like it.
它叫作肩窥。这种做法很没礼貌,冲浪者非常讨厌。
Well, if you're taking money out of a cash point or ATM in American English,
当你在取款机(美式英语里叫ATM)取钱的时候,
you should be really careful that no-one is standing too close behind you.
要注意看背后,不要让人站得离你很近。
They may be shoulder-surfing, that's looking over your shoulder trying to watch you enter your personal identification or PIN number on the keypad.
他们可能正在肩窥,就是越过你的肩膀试图看你在键盘上输入的个人验证或者PIN密码。
That's one way of stealing someone's money – then a pickpocket or mugger will steal your purse or wallet,
这也是一种偷钱的方法,你的个人信息被偷窥之后,扒手会偷走你的钱包然后冲到银行,
and rush to the bank before you can cancel your cards.
你都来不及挂失银行卡。
Shoulder-surfing brings up some interesting cultural points. How close is too close?
肩窥包含了很多有趣的文化现象。很近是多近?
In Britain and the US, people like at least a metre or two of space between them and the next person
在英美两国,人与人之间至少隔一两米,
any less than that and they feel uncomfortable.
比这个距离更近的话,他们会觉得不舒服。
But I've been to other countries where people stand right next to each other when they are queuing at the bank, and have no problems at all.
但我去过其他国家,银行排队的人们都一个挨一个地站着,没人觉得有什么问题。
Maybe shoulder-surfing doesn't happen so much there. Or maybe it's just easier!
可能肩窥在那里并不常见。也可能那样会更加方便。
Shoulder-surfing might also have another meaning.
肩窥还有其他的含义。
You know when you are at a party, talking to someone, and they don't seem to be very interested in your conversation?
记不记得在宴会上,你跟别人聊天的时候,他们好像对你的谈话不感兴趣?
They seem to be constantly looking over your shoulder, trying to find someone more interesting or attractive to talk to.
他们可能会一直越过你的肩膀,想找其他更有趣或者更漂亮的人说话。
They want to upgrade to someone better.
他们想换个更好的谈话对象。
Well – some people call this shoulder-surfing too! Or maybe this only happens to me …
有些人也把这叫作肩窥。当然也有可能这种事只发生在我身上...