【新朋友】点击标题下面蓝字【可可英语】加关注
【老朋友】点击手机右上角图标【转发分享】内容
【听音频,也可猛戳左下角“阅读原文”】
Welcome to English in a minute.
欢迎来到《一分钟英语》栏目!
When people are "bluffing", are they telling the truth?
当人们诈唬时,他们是在说实话吗?
Let's listen: Call Someone's Bluff
让我们一起听一下:揭穿某人的谎言
Oh, yeah. I have the winning hand right here.
噢耶,我现在有一手赢牌了。
I don't believe you. I'm calling your bluff!
我不相信你。我要拆穿你的谎言!
Ok, you're right. I only have low cards. I was bluffing. You win!
好吧,你是对的,我只有差牌。我在诈唬。你赢了。
Calling someone's bluff comes from poker, a card game.
揭穿某人的谎言这个短语来源于扑克牌。
A player who is bluffing pretends to have the winning cards when he really does not.
一位玩家虚张声势,假装有好牌,而实际上他并没有。
Calling someone's bluff means you want a person to tell the truth about something.
拆穿某人的谎言的意思是你想让别人说出某事的实情。
People bluff about serious and not-so-serious things.
人们会对严肃或不那么严肃的事虚张声势。
So next time, you can call their bluff.
所以下次,你可以揭穿他们的谎言。
And that's English in a minute.
以上就是今天的《一分钟英语》栏目!