专栏名称: 可可英语
可可英语创办于2005年,致力于打造集实用性,互动性,娱乐性为一体的专业免费英语学习平台。官方网站:http:/www.kekenet.com
目录
相关文章推荐
三节课  ·  “我用AI搞钱,春节期间收入超10万” ·  昨天  
人人都是产品经理  ·  支付新手高频易发的故障,如何应对? ·  3 天前  
人人都是产品经理  ·  G端转AI产品,通过这个策略涨薪20%! ·  5 天前  
51好读  ›  专栏  ›  可可英语

口语479期丨“有面子”英语怎么说?

可可英语  · 公众号  ·  · 2024-05-17 08:00

正文



口语积累

look good, broke,strapped, tight on money

情景应用

“有面子”最简单的说法是look good/nice/great等等,不过在不同的语境下,“面子”也可以有多种表达方式,如dignity,appearance等。


You're doing great, son. You're doing your old man proud.

你真有本事儿子,你让老爸我很有面子。


You guys make us look good.

你们让我们很有面子。


The more people I bring, the better I look.

我带的人越多,我越有面子。


It was kind of humiliating.

(那件事让我)我挺没面子的。


You're making me look really bad here.

你让我很没面子。


He resigned to maintain his dignity.

为了保住面子他辞职了。


How is it gonna make me look if the day finally comes?

如果这一天到来了,那我面子往哪里挂?


Are you keeping up appearances?

你在强撑面子吗?


请求对方“给个面子”口语可以用sport,humor,favor等词:


Come on, be a sport.

拜托,给个面子嘛。


Humor me.

给个面子。


Do me a favor.

给我个面子。


Give me credit for that.

给我个面子吧。


You're insulting me. 

你这是不给我面子呀。


Out of respect for your father, I'll give you another chance.

看在你父亲的面子上,我会给你另一次机会。


“丢面子”可以用lose face,“碍于面子”可以用too proud to:


He felt like he would lose face if he admitted his mistake in front of his colleagues.

如果他在同事面前承认错误,他觉得面子上过不去。


That will save the mutual embarrassment 

这样大家面子上都过得去。


You're going to have to offer him a face-saving way out of this.

你要给他一个有面子的台阶下。


He may be sticking with it because he's too proud to walk away.

他可能会碍于面子而不肯放弃,非要坚持下去。



每天背五句

1. You guys make us look good.

你们让我们很有面子。


2. How is it gonna make me look if the day finally comes?

如果这一天到来了,那我面子往哪里挂?


3. Come on, be a sport.

拜托,给个面子嘛。


4. That will save the mutual embarrassment 

这样大家面子上都过得去。


5. You have to offer him a face-saving way out of this.

你要给他一个有面子的台阶下。

作业





请到「今天看啥」查看全文