When asked "what's the biggest mistake we make in life?", the buddha replied, "This biggest mistake is you think you have time."
当被问及“人生最大的错误是什么”时,佛祖如是回答:“最大的错误就是你认为你有时间。”
Time is free but it's priceless. You can't own it, but you can use it. You can't keep it, but you can spend it. And once it's lost you can never get it back.
时间是免费的,但也是无价的。你不能拥有,但可以使用。你不能把时间存下来,但你能够把它花掉。一旦时间流逝,永不复还。
That average person lives 78 years.
人的一生平均可以活78年。
We spend 28.3 years of our life sleeping. That's almost a third of our life but 30% of us struggle to sleep well.
我们花28.3年在睡觉上,这几乎占了我们生命的三分之一,但与此同时有30%的人却为睡个好觉而挣扎着。
We spend 10.5 years of our life working but over 50% of us want to leave our current jobs.
我们在工作上花掉10.5年,但超过50%的人想要离开眼前的工作岗位。
Time is more valuable than money. You can get more money, but you can never get more time.
时间比金钱更有价值。你能赚更多的钱,却不能获得更多的时间。
We spend 9 years on TV and social media.
我们在电视和社交媒体上花掉9年。
We spend 6 years doing chores.
在家务琐事上花掉6年。
We spend 4 years eating and drinking.
在吃吃喝喝上花4年。
We spend 3.5 years in education.
在教育上花3.5年。
We spend 2.5 years grooming.
在梳妆打扮上花2.5年。
We spend 2.5 years shopping.
在购物上花2.5年。
We spend 1.5 years in child care.
在养育孩子上花1.5年。
We spend 1.3 years commuting.
在通勤上花1.3年。
That leaves us with 9 years.
只剩下9年的时间给我们。
How will we spend that time?
那我们将如何度过这些时光呢?
Steve Jobs said
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life."
乔布斯说:
“生
命有限,不要浪费时间重复别人的生活。”
So there's good news and there's bad news.
所以,有好消息也有坏消息。
That bad news is time flies, the good news is you're the pilot.
坏消息是时光飞逝,好消息是你是领航者。
Imagine you wake up every day with $86,400 in your bank account and at the end of the night it's all gone whether you spent it or not. And then the next day you get another $86,400.
想象一下,你每天醒来,银行账户中都有86400美元。不管你消费与否,一天结束时它们都会消失。而第二天,你的账户又会有86400美元进账。
What would we do with it?
那我们会怎样花这笔钱呢?
Everyday 86,400 seconds are deposited into your life account. At the end of the day, once they're all used up, you get a new 86,400 seconds.
每天86400秒都会存入你的生命账户。一旦这段时间耗尽,第二天你将拥有新的86400秒。
We would never waste it if it was money, so why do we waste it when it comes to time?
我们不会浪费钱,那为什么要浪费时间呢?
Those seconds are so much more powerful than dollars, because you can always make more dollars, you can't always make more time.
这些时间的力量远大于金钱,因为你总能赚更多钱,却无法获得更多时间。
To realize the value of one year, ask a student who failed a grade.
想知道一年的价值,那就去问问考试失利的学生。
To realize the value of one month, ask a mother who lost their child in the final month.
想知道一个月的价值,那就去问问在孕期最后一个月痛失骨肉的母亲。
To realize the value of one week, ask the editor of an online magazine.
想知道一周的价值,那就去问网络杂志的编辑。
To realize the value of one hour, ask the couple who's in a long-distance relationship.
想知道一小时的价值,那就去问异地恋的情侣们。
To realize the value of one minute, ask the person who just missed a bus, train or plane.
想知道一分钟的价值,那就去问刚刚误了公交、火车或飞机的人。