Q What is it that nobody tells you about adult life?
关于成年人的生活,有哪些事情是别人没有和你说过的?
Tavit Nisanyan | 周欣容 译
It never really comes.
它不会真正到来。
For your entire childhood, you wait. One day, you will be an adult, right?
你的整个童年一直在等,等到某天,你会变为成年人,是不是?
You see the first strand of hair appear on the corner of your mouth. Maybe I am growing up?
你看到发丝已经长到嘴角,想着,也许自己长大了。
Nothing feels different. You keep waiting for that change.
然而,一切没什么不同,你依然等待着变化。
Years pass.
一年又一年。
16, 17, 18.
16、17、18岁。
So long, high school. And so you move out. This is the first time you left home.
时光很漫长,高中过完了。你开始搬出去住,这是你第一次离开家。
So long, university. Now you need a job. You never really wanted to be an accountant, but hey, you have to make the ends meet.
时光还是那么漫长,大学过完了。现在你需要工作,你从没想过会成为会计。但是,你得挣钱养活自己。
You make your first real bit of money.
你赚了自己人生的第一笔钱。
You don’t go home that often anymore.
你不再那么频繁地回家。
And then suddenly, there is three of you. Maybe four, maybe five. You are a father now.
忽然间,你组成了三口之家,或者是四口,五口。现在,你是父亲了。
And still, you are a child. Life changes, but you, you still find comfort in your mother’s voice.
但是,你仍然是个孩子。生活改变了,但你,仍然能在母亲的声音里找到安慰。
But she’s gone now. And you are still here.
但是现在,她走了。而你还在这儿。
In fact, you just came back from school.
事实上,你感觉才从学校回来。
This time, no one’s making pudding.
可是这次,没人在家给你做布丁了。
Q What's the life of a semi driver like?
卡车司机的生活是什么样子的?
Rick Klugman | 周欣容 译
In my 27 years as a professional driver, I have come to accept a few realities of my chosen profession,
作为一名 27 年的职业司机,我已经接受了我选择的这份职业的某些现实问题。
I have a house I don't live in.
我有一间房子,我没法住。
I have a car I don't drive.
我有一辆车,我没法开。
I have a wife I don't see.
我有一个妻子,我不常见到。
I have pets I don't play with
我养了一些宠物,但我没法和它们玩。
In my 38 year relationship with my wife, I have been away from her more than with, yet our marriage has endured.
与妻子的 38 年婚姻中,尽管婚姻还在,但我离开她的时间,比和她在一起的时间要多得多。
I eat out of paper bags and Styrofoam boxes.
我常常吃快餐(纸袋和塑料饭盒包装的食物)。
I am often treated with disdain by other members of the motoring public who are ignorant of the dynamics of controlling a 70-foot long, 40-ton vehicle safely.
我常常被一些汽车驾驶员鄙视,可他们又不懂怎么驾驭卡车(70 英尺长、40 吨重)。
I have been stranded on the side of the road, broken down for hours waiting for help, more times than I can remember.
因为卡车故障,我常常地路边搁浅几个小时,等待援助。次数太多,我都不记清了。
I have driven in freezing cold, blistering heat, wind driven rain, pea soup fog, blinding blizzards, a forest fire, two hurricanes and have done so safely.
我一直在开车,无论是在刺骨的寒冬、还是炎炎的夏日、是在风雨交加、或是大雾弥漫、飞雪封城的日子。我还遇过一次森林大火,和两次飓风,所幸都安全抵达。
I am expected to be on time for my delivery appointments yet made to wait around for hours needlessly and inexplicably to get unloaded.
我总希望能准时完成运送的计划,然而却不知怎么地还要多等待几个小时让他们卸货。
My job is under the influence of man, nature, and machine. The only thing certain about this job is, there are no certainties.
我的工作主要受人、自然和机器的影响。关于这份工作,唯一确定的事情就是没有确定性。
My peers consist of people from all walks of life, genders (I have on two separate occasions had the pleasure of spending time with a transgender and transvestite truck driver) religions, and skin colors, most of whom are chronic complainers with very poor fashion sense (multiple layers of flannel shirts??!!).
我的同事来自各行各业、不同性别(有两次,我有幸和一个变过性的,还有一个异装癖卡车司机一起出勤)、不同信仰,还有不同肤色。他们中大多数人都没什么时尚品味(穿几层的法兰绒衬衫!!?),还常常抱怨。
Underneath it all we're all the same, skilled professionals and we look out for our own.
除此之外我们都一样,技能娴熟、自己可以照顾自己。
And yet, at the end of the day, this is my chosen profession of which I am fiercely proud. I have no intention of retiring and intend to do this as long as I'm physically able because, what could be better than this?
但是,一天下来,我感觉这就是我选择的最为自豪的职业。我并没有退休的打算,并且准备一直干到我不能干了为止,因为没有什么比这更好的了,对吧?
Home, sweet home.
回到家了,温暖的家。
还可以看看:
校对:丁仔 | 编辑:丁仔
此问题及回答源自 Quora 作者-署名-非商业性使用-禁止演绎;转载请注明作者、翻译和校对、原文链接 ;)